I always love seeing what people have in their purses, and now that I’m a “working professional” (and no longer a college student, unfortunately), I think it’s really fascinating to get a peek into what everyone views as the essentials to have on hand at work. So today, I thought I would share with you what I always have on me for a full 8 hours of work.
My Work Bag Essentials
- A big purse that has enough room to fit a laptop and more and sturdy enough to carry everything without breaking. Mine is this one from Shoptiques (by the way, they have so many cute and unique items priced very reasonably).
- A laptop case. It doesn’t matter if you have a super secure bag, you should always have something that covers your laptops on all sides, especially if your job provides you with it, because if you break it, you’ll probably have to pay for a new one. Mine is from Vera Bradley (similar style here).
- A stylish wallet that can hold all of your cards, cash, and IDs. This one is a given but there are many times where I actually forget to pack this, so I’ve started designating a specific wallet for work. Mine is from Kate Spade (similar style here)
- Notebook and pens. You never know when you’ll have to quickly write something down, and it always helps to seem prepared in any situation at work!
- Smaller bags. I always find it so much easier to keep a purse organized if you have smaller bags inside separating your things. Unfortunately my purse is just one big open compartment, but fortunately it came with a smaller bag that can be detached. The other is a bag I received from Sephora with a bunch of samples.
- Earphones both for the job and for your own sanity. Maybe you’re like me and your job sometimes calls for you to listen to things on your computer or you have your own privacy and can listen to music while you work (which totally helps the day go by much faster). And I don’t know about you, but sometimes if I have earphones in, it helps me focus better and block out distractions, even when I’m listening to dead silence.
- Hand sanitizer. I think this one is pretty self-explanatory but the chances of you touching something gross every once in a while is pretty high. Bath & Body Works is always my go to for cute, compact hand sanitizers.
- Hand lotion. This is especially necessary during the winter months, when your hands get dry. Get one that smells good and is relatively small so you can carry it with you everywhere. Mine is again, from Bath & Body Works.
- Small body spray or perfume. This is perfect for nights where you’re running out of work and have to go straight to an event or have plans with friends (or maybe a date?!) and need a refresher. I love this scent from Victoria’s Secret, and they always have cute, smaller bottles near the cash registers.
- Chapstick or lip balm. Hello, if your lips are every chapped this is absolutely essential. I love the regular old chapstick brand, but if I’m feeling a little bit more “adventurous” than usual, I’ll go for this tinted one by Pixi Beauty.
- Eye drops. This is great for anyone who wears contacts and feels them drying out later on in the day, thanks to staring at a screen all day.
- Tide-to-Go stick. You never know when a stain will come along, and if one of your coworkers ends up with one, you will be their hero for the day.
- Mints or gum. This is great for after lunch if your mouth is feeling kind of gross or if you have somewhere to be after work and you don’t have time to go home and brush your teeth.
- iPod. To go with the earphones, if you’re lucky enough to get the freedom to listen to music.
- Sunglasses. I don’t know why, but driving to and from work with sunglasses on always makes my drive so much more bearable. Maybe it’s because the sun makes the day brighter or I just get a little confidence boost? I don’t know. Mine are these by Prada (and they are my babies).
Extras (not pictured):
- Phone charger. Because if you’re like me, the world is over once your phone dies.
- Keys, phone, etc. You know, the essentials you rarely leave home without anyways.
- Feminine Hygiene Products. Ladies, you know what I mean here.
- Umbrella. The last thing you want to happen to you is it starts pouring and it ruins your hair and clothes right as you step outside.
What are some essentials you never leave for work without?