Like everyone, I have my absolute favorites when it comes to the products I use in my makeup routine. However, using the same products year round never seems to work out.
The summer months bring on more oily skin then usual (this is actually a whole new territory I’m in.. and I’m not too happy about it). On top of that, the heat honestly makes me hate putting on layers of makeup, especially makeup that seems to just melt off your face immediately once you start sweating even a little bit.
I thought I would share with you all my top 7 beauty products that I have always used (and some that I have recently fallen in love with) during the summer.
1. Mattifying Primer: My favorite is the mattifying one for oily skin from Make Up For Ever. During the winter months, I use a hydrating primer (same primer by Make Up For Ever just a different version) but now that it’s summer, the mattifying one has been a miracle worker. This really helps give me a nice matte base for the rest of my makeup and ensures my face doesn’t look too shiny, which is exactly what I need for the summer. If I use a hydrating primer and then a BB cream, my skin starts to look way too oily.
2. BB Cream with SPF: As always, my absolute favorite is this one by Maybelline. I feel like I talk about this constantly (i.e.: here and here) but that’s because it is so great. It’s hydrating, gives a really nice dewy finish, which is perfect for summer, and is really easily build-able. And choosing one with SPF is key for the summer for obvious reasons. 🙂
3. Bronze-Highlight Duo: My favorite way to contour in the summer without having to wear too many products, is with something that can both bronze and highlight your face! I am obsessed with The Estée Edit’s Flash Illuminator (there are some gorgeous shades but I love “Day Light”) because it gives a nice bronzy glow to my face and illuminates my cheekbones. I apply it mostly to the apples of my cheek but will blend it out a bit lower, where I would usually put a bronzer, in order to give more definition to my cheeks. Also love this and this as other options.
4. Shimmery Eyeshadow Primer: So listen, I’m not a makeup artist, and I never really do anything crazy with my eye makeup. ESPECIALLY in the summer because hello who has time for that. Instead, my absolute go to is to dab on Urban Decay’s eyeshadow primer in “Minor Sin” (which is the most gorgeous shimmery gold) all over my lids and call it a day. Its a nice way to elevate an everyday look without having to put too much effort in.
5. Long-Wearing Eyebrow Pencil: Okay so I will confess, when I saw all these Youtube beauty gurus talking about Benefit’s Goof Proof Brow Pencil I was extremely skeptical. I thought they were just saying they loved it because they were sponsored or got it for free. Guys – this has become my new favorite brow pencil. It stays on ALL day even if you’re sweating the entire day (their waterproof claims are legit!), and it is pretty much impossible to mess up applying it.
6. Waterproof Mascara: Aside from the obvious need for a mascara to be waterproof for the summer, it’s pretty much essential for me to choose one that is also not impossible to take off with a makeup wipe or makeup remover. That’s why I love Too Faced’s Better Than Sex Mascara. There are a ton of options and a lot of times you can find a waterproof version of your favorite. I also love Covergirl’s The Super Sizer Fibers Mascara (I talked about it here).
7. Nude Lip Gloss: In the summer, I always tend to gravitate towards neutral and pink lip glosses (sometimes lipsticks) just for a little extra glam. I loooove Nyx’s lip products, especially their butter glosses (my favorite is Éclair) and their butter lipsticks. Usually, I’m already wearing enough bronze/shimmery products on my face so I prefer not to go overboard with the lips too.
What are some of your favorite beauty products for the summer? Also if any of you have some tips for managing oily skin PLEASE let me know! I’ve never had to deal with it to this extent and I’m struggling to find the right beauty products.