I know, I know, it’s not May anymore (in fact my June birchbox will probably arrive next week). But because of how hectic last month was, I didn’t even have time to try out the products in my May box until a couple weeks ago (pictures from my trip to Costa Rica will come soon!!).
So even though this post is a bit late, at least you’ll know I’ve tested out every product multiple times already! (PS this box was even more disappointing than last month’s so prepare for some brutal honesty).
If you aren’t familiar with Birchbox, it’s a subscription box for $10 a month and comes with 4-6 deluxe samples (mostly beauty) but ranges from makeup, hair care, and sometimes even snacks.
Every box has a brief description about what each product does and how much the full sizes cost. You can also buy any of the products you receive (plus many other products), straight from Birchbox and if you review the samples, you get points towards a discount!
Here are this month’s products.
- Mineral Moisture Defense SPF 50 for Body by MDSolarSciences. The full size retails for $39.00 (also at MDSolarSciences) and the sample is worth about $2.50. If this were a product for your face, I would understand the small size. But as something that’s for your body, this is tiny and not a useful sample size. On top of that, the consistency and smell were just not very good. This was definitely my least favorite sample.
- Daydream SPF 30 Mineral Makeup Primer by Coola. The full size retails for $42 (available at Sephora, Ulta, and Coola Suncare) and the sample size is worth $4.20. I do really like Coola’s products and this product was great for my vacation. Unlike the first product, this one smelled nice and had a good consistency. Unfortunately I had some serious problems when it came to blending it in. For something that’s supposed to be a primer, it made my face look slightly white (and sickly).
- Fabulous Self Tanning Gradual Lotion by Vita Liberata. The full size retails for $30 (at Sephora and Vita Liberata) and the sample is worth $7.50. I’m not a big self-tanning fan, but I do like this product. It doesn’t smell too strong like most self-tanners and it has a very nice consistency to it (it has macula oil) and is very hydrating, which is great for the summer. I don’t know how much I’ll use it, but I really appreciate the generous sample size and can tell I’ll at least get one full body use out of it.
- Seaberry Hair Serum (Medium to Coarse) by Obliphica Professional. The full size is $38 (it comes in both 65 mL and 125 mL at Obliphica Professional) and the sample is worth about $9. This is the only product I actually love this month. This serum smells great and is really lightweight. I also love that it’s tailored to my hair (I have very thick hair) and that there’s also one for people with fine hair. I almost always love getting hair products so this definitely brought the value of the box up for me.
- Lip Lacquer (in the shade “Creme Brûlée”) by ModelCo. The full size is 3 mL and retails for $24 (at Birchbox and ModelCo) and this sample size is worth $12. However, Birchbox has a trio that costs $16 and comes with 3 different shades. I thought this product would be promising (I love lip products), and the consistency is actually really great (I mean almost all lip-glosses are a little bit sticky but this one wasn’t too bad). However, the color just doesn’t look good with my skin tone :(. I’m really bummed cause I think it would have been a great product otherwise.
Thanks to the lip gloss sample that adds $12 to the box’s value, this month’s box is worth about $35. Somehow, the values of my boxes seem to continuously get lower and lower (check out past unboxing posts here) and the products seem to get more and more disappointing.
I get what they were trying to do with the SPF products and self-tanning product, but I only really loved one product, hair serum, and to me that’s not really worth paying $10 a month. Hopefully June’s box is much better!
If you’re interested in trying it out, click on this link! Your subscription can be canceled at any time so you don’t have to worry about committing for more than a month.
This product was purchased on my own, all opinions are my own.