I’m back with another Birchbox Unboxing. Spoiler alert, I’m not very impressed with this month’s box. I thought this would be a good way to show you all how subscription boxes really can be hits and misses. Although Birchbox had been killing it lately, I was definitely a bit disappointed with some of the products in this box.
If you aren’t familiar with Birchbox, it’s a subscription box for $10 a month and comes with 4-6 deluxe samples (mostly beauty) but ranges from makeup, hair care, and sometimes even snacks.
Every box has a brief description about what each product does and how much the full sizes cost. You can also buy any of the products you receive (plus many other products), straight from Birchbox and if you review the samples, you get points towards a discount!
The design for this month’s box was gorgeous (and so springy). Here are the products I received.
- Bloom 23 by My Daughter Fragrances. The full size (50 ml) retails for $85 (available at Petit Vour and My Daughter Fragrances) so after calculating it, the sample is worth about $2. Here is my thing about perfume samples… I hate them. I absolutely love perfumes, I have quite a healthy collection, but I hate samples. Don’t get me wrong, the perfume smells beautiful (very floral-y, which is not usually my favorite) but I hate the packaging of perfume samples. They are always so small and hard to open and I just find them useless. So I’m clearly not happy about this one.
- PBJ Smoothie Stick (in the shade” Guava Nice Day”) by The Beauty Crop. So I’m pretty sure this is the actual size, which is awesome! It retails for $14.95 (currently sold out everywhere else) and is amazing, especially for the price! The color is beautiful. It’s a magenta/mauve that is beyond perfect for spring. It goes on so smoothly and looks so pretty on. My only problem is that the crayon keeps popping out of the stick, I’m not sure if it broke during shipment but other than that, I absolutely love this product.
- Keep Young and Beautiful Instant Firming Beauty Shot by REN. The full size retails for $54 (also at REN Skincare and Sephora) and the sample size is worth about $18. For the price, the sample size is very generous. But hello Birchbox, I’m 22 years old and have no use for anti-aging products! Yes, I’m sure it’s never too early to start, but I would much rather prefer any other type of product. This one is a complete miss for me and I’ll probably hand it over to someone else who could actually use it.
- 3-in-1 Micellar Solution by Marcelle. The full size retails for $21 and the sample size is worth $3.50. I’m pretty sure this is a drug-store product, which is nice to see in my Birchbox (they tend to send more high-end products). It is supposed to be a toner and makeup remover, all in one. It works well enough in getting my makeup off but I’m not sure I felt a difference in my skin. The sample size is pretty healthy, which is great but I would have preferred a more exciting sample than a makeup remover.
- Don’t Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Mask by Briogeo. The full size retails for $34 (also available at Sephora) and the sample size is worth about $4. The sample size is actually quite generous and the product has great reviews online. Unfortunately, I just cut my hair, so right now it’s actually very healthy and isn’t in any need of mask. I know this will come in handy later on down the road though and am pretty happy about receiving this product.
All together, the box is worth about $42.50, which for most customers would probably be a great evaluation (I mean the box is only $10 a month). But if I only add up the products I actually like (the lip crayon, makeup remover, hair mask), it adds up to $22.50. While it’s still a pretty good price, I kind of expect more than that.
I’m pretty disappointed in this month’s box, but there are some nice products that I will definitely use, so it wasn’t a total bust. Here’s to hoping next month’s is better! You can check out my past (and happier) reviews here.
If you’re interested in trying it out (which I highly recommend if you haven’t already), click here! Your subscription can be canceled at any time so you don’t have to worry about committing for more than a month.
This product was purchased on my own, all opinions are my own.